Saturday, August 4, 2012

Kororaa 17: User-friendly KDE spin of Fedora 17

I really liked Fedora though it feels a bit geekier than Ubuntu. Ubuntu is absolutely more user-friendly and you don't need to be a Linux expert to use it. But, Kororaa changed my view - it is definitely user friendly and offers a more complete out-of-the-box distro than Fedora with the usual smoothness that characterizes Fedora.


From Distrowatch, I came to know of the latest release and downloaded Kororaa 17 from its site. KDE is my preferred option and the ISO was 1.6 GB - quite big indeed for Linux!

The boot up was quick and easy and I was greeted with a nice blue-black interface - similar to Fedora 17. The desktop is typical KDE.

From Kororaa 17

From Kororaa 17

From Kororaa 17

Applications
What strike me most in Kororaa is the prudent selection of very utility apps. It is rich with most of the apps that you may need on daily basis like  GIMP, PDF viewer (Okular), Photo management program, E-book viewer, Firefox, bit-torrent, blogging client, micro-blogging client (similar to Gwibber), VoIP Phone, VLC Player, Amarok music player, sound editor, video editor, LibreOffice suite and of course, Yum to download and manage apps. Overall, a very comprehensive and great package. Only wish, Flash support would have made it 100% complete.

From Kororaa 17

From Kororaa 17
From Kororaa 17

CPU & RAM Usage
Kororaa has significantly lower RAM usage (285 MB, with only system manager running) than Fedora 17 or Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. So, kudos to the developers for getting things right. CPU usage is also modest, 5-6%.

From Kororaa 17

Overall
I liked Kororaa 17, except for a difficult name, I guess. The OS feels very stable and a good KDE spin. App-wise very rich and you may not need to download a whole lot of apps after installing Kororaa. The feel of using it is also smooth and thanks to the developers for giving a refined distro - I liked it better than Kubuntu for sure.

A few screenshots are in my Picasa album - you may like them.

4 comments:

  1. Could not read your article as the black background and grey lettering does not display well on a portable laptop.

    Sorry, but black on white would render beston my netbook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Thanks for the suggestion. I have changed to white background with black letters now. Please let me know if it is readable now.

      Regards,
      Arindam

      Delete
  2. I could not find the downloadable iso...
    Kindly help me...

    Saptatshi
    smitra.email@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get the downloadable ISOs of Korora 19 from here: https://kororaproject.org/download/

      Delete